System Design Authority - Surface Ships
Purpose of job
The ATLAS Group is a market leader in maritime security, sonar and combat management systems for conventional submarines, surface ships, complete sensor-to-shoot mine warfare solutions and torpedoes. Our products are in service with several navies, private and commercial customers. There is a strong order book, new markets are being pursued and new product offerings are in development. An opportunity has arisen for a Systems Engineer who can apply their experience and skills within a multidiscipline team, overseeing the design and development of innovative technical solutions that meet our customer requirements and business needs. The role covers all aspects of the product lifecycle; from requirements capture and analysis through system specification, concept studies, modelling and simulation, design and development, system integration, validation and qualification
Dorset Innovation Park, Winfrith
At Atlas Elektronik UK, we support our staff to create work life balance and encourage applications from individuals who are looking for part time or condensed hours as well as full time opportunities.
The role provides technical oversight to all stages of the product lifecycle, working with the Sales team, Project Manager, Engineering and Support teams. The System Design Authority is responsible for interpreting customer requirements, specifying the system solution, planning development and testing, leading engineering lifecycle reviews and ensuring successful customer acceptance and handover. They are responsible for the System Engineering outputs including:
- Assessing Customer requirements against product specifications
- System specifications
- System architecture definition Internal and external interface definition
- Test and Acceptance strategy
- Defining engineering work packages and sub-contractor specifications
- Supporting the Project/Bid Manager in identifying and managing technical risk
- Selling-off contract requirements by leading Factory, Harbour and Sea Acceptance Test activities
Responsibilities and Competencies
The SDA role has the following responsibilities:
- Responsible to the Head of System Design for quality of technical and engineering output, following the company’s System Engineering processes and technical reviews
- Responsible to the customer for delivering a system that is fit for purpose
- Represents ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK products and systems on behalf of the business to the customer, external partners, stakeholders and suppliers
The role requires the following competencies:
- Candidates should have previous experience in a technical/engineering role, with either a desire to develop / previous experience in delivering equipment or products into service
- Systems thinker
- Attention to detail
- Tenacity and determination; with desire to deliver outputs and results
- Demonstrable and proven competence in Systems Engineering and the systems engineering lifecycle
- Domain knowledge in one or more of the following areas: Systems Engineering, Sonar and Underwater Acoustics, Maritime Security Systems, Marine technology, Minewarfare, Anti-submarine Warfare, Command and Control Systems (including network architectures and software)
- Good organisational and leadership skills
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- The successful candidate must be able to achieve full SC (Security Clearance).
- The role requires willingness to undertake foreign travel to support product demonstrations, site surveys, installation and acceptance
How to apply
Please forward your CV and a covering letter explaining why you are suitable for the post to Recruitment@uk.atlas-elektronik.com by the closing date and state the job title in the subject line.
Due to the nature of our work and the projects you will be working on, all candidates must be eligible to gain security clearance. ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK Ltd is an Equal Opportunities employer and welcomes applications for all posts from suitably qualified people regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, religion or belief. Only successful applicants will be contacted.
Dorset DT2 8ZB